I’m thrilled to be on the blog tour today for Killed written by Thomas Enger and published by Orenda Books. Many thanks to Anne Cater for organising the blog tour.
Crime reporter Henning Juul thought his life was over when his young son was murdered. But that was only the beginning…
Determined to find his son’s killer, Henning doggedly follows an increasingly dangerous trail, where dark hands from the past emerge to threaten everything. His ex-wife Nora is pregnant with another man’s child, his sister Trine is implicated in the fire that killed his son and, with everyone he thought he could trust seemingly hiding something, Henning has nothing to lose … except his own life.
Packed with tension and unexpected twists, Killed is the long-awaited finale of one of the darkest, most chilling and emotive series you may ever read. Someone will be killed. But who?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Thomas Enger (b. 1973) is a former journalist. He made his debut with the crime novel Burned (Skinndød) in 2010, which became an international sensation before publication. Burned is the first in a series of 5 books about the journalist Henning Juul, which delves into the depths of Oslo’s underbelly, skewering the corridors of dirty politics and nailing the fast-moving world of 24-hour news. Rights to the series have been sold to 26 countries to date. In 2013 Enger published his first book for young adults, a dark fantasy thriller called The Evil Legacy, for which he won the U-prize (best book Young Adult). Enger also composes music, and he lives in Oslo.
BLOG CONTENT – TEN THINGS YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT THE HENNING JUUL SERIES BY THOMAS ENGER
1. The ideas for the series was originally meant for TV. I had meetings with TV executives in Norway, who liked the idea, but then initiated a radio silence for about ten months leaving me with no choice but to write the books instead. And now it’s (hopefully) going to be a TV series … Funny how the world works sometimes.
2. The books have been optioned by a film company in Norway called Cinenord. We signed a new deal in the beginning of 2018. At first another company (4 1/2) was involved in the pre-production.
3. Originally the producers wanted Mads Mikkelsen (from Denmark) to play Henning Juul. They even had a meeting with him in Cannes one year, but it never amounted to anything.
4. The first book in the series (Burned) took me five months to write. The second (Pierced) needed a lot more rewrites, so that one took 18…
5. Originally the series was going to consist of six novels. I wrote about 225 pages on the fourth one before I realised that the idea for that book no longer fit the universe. So I threw that one out, and started on the next.
6. At first Henning Juul was going to be the journalistic equivalent to Dexter, the TV series character who kills people that needs to be killed. Henning was going to leave no stone unturned in order to get to the bottom of what happened to his son, and he was going really rough about it. Glad I changed my mind…
7. Gunnar Goma, Henning Juul’s somewhat eccentric next door neighbour, is largely based on my father-in-law.
8. The flat Henning lives in, is an almost spitting image of my own. (same street, same floor, same interior structure, it even has the same balcony)
9. The summer cabin where Henning meets his estranged sister Trine (in Scarred, the third book) is a copy of our own family’s summer cabin. It’s located a few kilometres outside Stavern, about an hour and 45 minutes’ drive from Oslo.
10. In 2011, for research purposes, I went on a train journey from Oslo to Gothenburg and spent a night there, because one of my characters was supposed to do the very same thing. He ended up going in the complete opposite direction, to Ustaoset (a small winter ski resort in Norway. But I did have a nice time in Sweden. And yep, I did the Ustaoset trip as well, and I believe the book (Pierced) became better because of it.
BLOG TOUR DETAILS:
If you would like to follow the Blue Night Blog Tour, you can do so at the following dates: